Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vegan Mac & Cheese

Comfort food, kid food, carbs.....whatever you want to call it - it's still an American favorite staple on the dinner table. If you have a favorite recipe from childhood that you don't eat because it's not vegan I am here to say that you can have it by just changing the ingredients. So I use Earth Balance instead of butter, soy milk in place of dairy and soy cheddar replaces the regular cheese. I like to make a rue with earth balance, olive oil & flour. I add spices of salt, pepper, tumeric, garlic powder, paprika & bragg aminos. Then vegetable broth and soymilk, heating and whisking until smooth & hot. I add shredded Follow Your Heart vegan cheese and continue whisking until melted. Then I add it to my cooked pasta and bake until done. You can add nutritional yeast or truffle oil to make a different version. But as far as I'm concerned Mac & Cheese is probably one of my favorite foods EVER!!

1 comment: